WP 5.6 install message: “Unknown column ‘wp_’ in ‘field list’ for query SELECT wp_”
I’m seeing a database error in the NGINX logs when performing a clean install of latest WordPress 5.6 on Ubuntu 20.04 with NGINX and PHP7.4:
Unknown column ‘wp_’ in ‘field list’ for query SELECT wp_
This is the full error from the NGINX log:
2020/12/30 10:37:05 [error] 38795#38795: *846 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: WordPress database error Unknown column 'wp_' in 'field list' for query SELECT wp_" while reading response header from upstream, client: 126.96.36.199, server: domain.com, request: "POST /wp-admin/setup-config.php?step=2 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php/php7.4-fpm.sock:", host: "domain.com", referrer: "https://domain.com/"
The error doesn’t appear to be fatal because I can successfully complete the setup wizard, login to WordPress and see all the default content.
However any SQL error in the log worries me, particularly with a new installation, so ideally I’d like to resolve the underlying issue in case there is something broken that I’m not aware of.
Steps to reproduce:
- Clean install of latest WordPress on Ubuntu 20.04 with NGINX and PHP7.4
- Open new installation setup page in browser
- Enter database details with default "localhost" for host and "wp_" as table prefix
- Click "Submit" and see the confirmation "All right, sparky! You’ve made it through this part of the installation. WordPress can now communicate with your database." message displayed
- View the NGINX error log to observe the SQL error reported above
Thanks in advance for any help!